Monday, September 16, 2019

All Our Yesterdays (Review)

All Our Yesterdays


By: Cristin Terrill
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Release Date: September 3rd, 2013
Genre(s): YA Science Fiction

My Review: (4/5 stars*)

This is the first book in a great, long while that I've had the chance to pick up, get invested, and actually have the time to start and finish it. I've been desperately searching for something to suck me in, and this novel finally did. After many pick-ups and put-downs of different titles I was digging through my cavernous bookshelves and came across All Our Yesterdays tucked away in a wooden cedar chest. So I'm happy to announce this was a real gem to get me back to my favorite pastime of reading.

Furthermore, on that note, this particular novel weaves through a timeline of events kicking off with a girl named Em and a boy named Finn locked in cells that are side-by-side. They've been there for months and have seemingly spent months of being tortured for information regarding time-travel. In an almost dystopia-like future, the world has crumbled around them due to a chain of events that they have been trying to go back in time and stop. With each failed attempt to escape their cells and previous versions lost to time they finally edge their way to a moment that may allow them to fix and change the future to a day where they aren't imprisoned and the world isn't destroyed by greed and power.

This is a mission-impossible, hopeless love, and non-stop suspenseful read. It doesn't lack for intrigue and it kept me up way past my normal bed time (as per usual with good reading). The story is told through two different individual's perspectives: Em and Marina, and Finn. It can get a little confusing at times understanding who is who, so you must read carefully. The story is one giant road intersection with a space and time traveling twist. It's unique, it's not always a happy read, but, it's secretly ingenious and I didn't want the novel to end once I picked it up. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and them getting to know themselves. The world-building is pretty cool as well, although I wish the writer gave more of it. But, to the effect I am glad All Our Yesterdays sits nicely at 340 pages and not 500. I believe a good story cuts the fluff and gets directly to the point without it taking too much of your time unless it's too big of a world such as Harry Potter and Game of Thrones books.

Anyhow, I loved the journey and thrill upon turning each page and discovering a novel that solved much more than my boredom. It dissolved my stress and created a legitimate source of escape and for that I am beyond thankful and can do nothing but recommend it! It's a young-adult and their is a medium amount of romance, and some violence (tear-jerking stuff), and I'm overall very impressed with Cristin Terrill's ability to tell this story so fluidly. Job well done, and hours of reading well spent. I really liked it, definitely fit my mood, and even though it has sci fi elements it definitely almost felt like a contemporary in some ways. SCOOP THIS ONE UP! And for those people who aren't in the mood to tackle an entire series to get from beginning to end, this one is a standalone novel. However, I wouldn't have minded more stories from it.

LINKS: GOODREADS | AMAZON | B&N !



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...