Friday, August 9, 2013

Last Sacrifice (Review)

(Vampire Academy, #6)

Release Date: December 7th, 2010
Published by: Razorbill
Genre(s): YA Paranormal/Fantasy/Romance

My Review: (5/5 stars*)

I hadn't planned on writing a review for any of the books in this series because I was positive it'd be me just gushing. I'm a huge Richelle Mead fan so already I had it in my mind the Vampire Academy series wouldn't disappoint which was absolutely true, but I felt it deserved a review. Last Sacrifice will have you transfixed because it has a lot of interwoven stories and many surprises that spring up. Rose has grown up so much since she was a student at St. Vladamir's Academy and secretly vying for Dimitri's attention. Since then she's moved on to bigger and more dangerous things. She has been resistant to every law given and now the consequences are finally catching up to her. In this final book Rose is accused of assassinating a high official which is the worst offense in all of Dhamphir and Moroi laws. She's so used to being the one to save everyone from peril but now she is in the worst kind of danger. Despite making many enemies she still has a few loyal friends in her corner who will go to the ends of the earth to free her from a life behind bars or worse—a death sentence.

I admired Rose Hathaway's character because she holds nothing back. She does whatever she wants and the whole world be damned. She seeks out trouble and tries to fix impossible problems. I love that she is such a devoted friend to Lissa, and that she looks out for Dimitri, Adrian, and anyone else who needs her. Rose puts everyone above herself not just because it was instilled in her since she was young but because she genuinely cares about people, and it's just who she is. Dimitri has oddly always felt more of a background character even though he's the main love interest of Rose throughout the series. What's great is readers finally get to see him more than previous books and understand why Rose fell for him in the first place. Earlier in the series their relationship was all hearsay with the exception of a few scenes he was actually in, and we get to witness what kind of a person he is. He's a different sort of hero, he's not charming like Adrian, he doesn't openly express his feelings, and he is very reserved and limited with his actions. Most of Rose and Dimitri's relationship was obscured for the first half of the series, and in Last Sacrifice it's at the forefront, or moreso than it's ever been before. I wished in regards to Adrian that she never let him fall for her because it tore at my heart to see him being dragged around while Rose still harbored feelings for Dimitri
—it reminded me of what happened with Mason Ashford. One thing that's made clear overall is that Rose Hathaway is a heartbreaker, and she never realizes it until it's too late—relationships with her just blow up.

Richelle Mead's created an unforgettable paranormal world, with a huge and unique band of characters that you'll be captivated by. Adrian Ivashkov is my favorite of the Vampire Academy series and we get to see his personality and charm flourish in Last Sacrifice. He's funny, a total royal rebel, and gorgeous in every sense of the word. I love that he has this dangerous air of insanity because of his unique ability to use spirit. I pretty much smiled at every scene he popped up in, ever since Frostbite I found him endearing, overlooked, and totally worthy of his own story. Mead gives a lot of depth to each individual character and it makes reading about them so entertaining. Although there was about 3 things that were never explained and I wish we had gotten those answers but their is a lot to be happy about in the resolution. It's easy to speculate what should have happened but the loose ends leftover could and will most likely go unnoticed.


Lissa has always been incredibly more mature then Rose, but in Last Sacrifice it really shows. I loved how her storyline wraps up and she takes on a greater responsibility and finally takes action to save Rose. I was a little disappointed that Christian didn't have a huge presence in the final book but I always thought he was a really cool character, and him and Lissa are perfect together. Eddie, Sydney, Abe, and Janine all play a role and I really enjoyed seeing them all again. As I said before there is so much going on and many characters have gotten their chance to do more which I loved. Usually I hate when authors try to cram a million stories, and a lot of previous characters into one book but it all felt natural and unrushed which was amazing. I thought the ending was a great one, and left an opening for more character/story exploration. It had an integral mystery in need of solving, a shocking surprise, action, romance, Rose humor, and plenty of unexpected events that unfold. Overall I loved Last Sacrifice, and anyone who fears series ending badly will reevaluate upon reading this final novel. It has been a hell of journey with Rose and seeing how her and her friend's stories all come together was a lot of fun. I'd highly recommend for young-adults 16+, this entire series will be consumed quickly.


Synopsis:

They come first.
 My vision was growing dimmer, the blackness and ghosts closing in. I swore it was like I could hear Robert whispering in my ear: The world of the dead won't give you up a second time. Just before the light completely vanished, I saw Dimitri's face join Lissa's. I wanted to smile. I decided then that if the two people I loved most were safe, I could leave this world.

The dead could finally have me.


Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules. She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir's Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardians to come.

Now the law has finally caught up with Rose - for a crime she didn't even commit. She's in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She'll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.

But the clock on Rose's life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back...and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your whole life is about saving others, who will save you?

Join Rose, Dimitri, Adrian, and Lissa in Last Sacrifice, the epic, unforgettable finale to Richelle Mead's international #1 bestselling Vampire Academy series.

LINKS: GOODREADS | AMAZON | AUTHOR | B&N | SHELFARI ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...